In the City Shark Tank Project students researched the meaning and effects of gentrification in order to create a business model that would thrive in the areas of San Francisco affected by gentrification.
- Research Skills ( ability to search for, locate, extract, organise, evaluate and use or present information that is relevant to a particular topic.)
- Researching the meaning and effects of gentrification
- Researching information related to their business model
- Analysis Skills (the ability to collect and analyze information, problem-solve, and make decisions)
- Identify a solution to gentrification through business ownership.
- Critical Thinking Skills ( the evaluation of sources such as data, facts, observable phenomenon, and research findings. )
- Using the data, facts, etc to substantiate reasoning for creating particular business model and the effects of the business being added to the affected gentrified areas
- Business Pitch
Final Product: Students created a 10-12 min pitch to present to a panel of investors/teachers and asked for an investment for their business while explaining how the business would be beneficial in communities affected by gentrification.
Suggested Duration: 8-10 Weeks
Created with the support of the California Department of Education California Career Pathways Trust